TGIF! Whatever you end up doing this weekend, we hope you enjoy the nice weather! Get outside your comfort zone! Try something new! Discover a new side of Kingston!
Friday, June 9
8pm-12am TONE DEAF: Luyos MC, Slow Attack Ensemble, chik white, Xiao Xuan @ St. Mark’s United Church (263 Victoria St.)
- a special evening of eclectic and empyreal experimental music…Doors at 8:00 pm, music shortly thereafter. $10/PWYC
8pm-11pm LIVE MUSIC: Zach ‘n’ Cheese, Hailiah, & Kenny Ivimey Live @ Musiikki Café (19+). $5/PWYC
9pm-11pm JAMES BLONDE + PIN UP concert @ The Mansion (19+) – $10
- James Blonde is a Niagara Falls-based Pop/Rock outfit formerly known as XPRIME. The trio has toured the country and made major festival appearances at Osheaga, Edgefest and Burlington Sound of Music, opening for the likes of Weezer, The Arkells, Keith Urban, Sam Roberts Band and Lights.
11pm-2am Paper Ladies band @ The Toucan (19+) – FREE
Saturday, June 10
8am-1:30pm Motionball for Special Olympics @ St. Lawrence College
- A fun day of athletic competition that sees participants team up with local Special Olympics athletes and together as a team, play a variety of sports including soccer, ultimate frisbee, bench-ball & bocce ball.
10am-4pm Lviv, Ukraine Folklore Festival @ Regiopolis-Notre Dame High School
10am-12pm “Move With Our Docs” 2K Walk @ Queen’s campus – FREE
10am-12pm Cannonball Crush @ Fort Henry
11am-4pm K & P Trail Opening @ Douglas Fluhrer Park (near Rogers K-ROCK Centre)
- The City will be providing complimentary hot dogs and drinks to the first 200 customers.
11am-12:30pm Shelter Closing Protest II @ City Hall
12pm-8pm YGK Craft Beer Fest @ Fort Henry
1pm-4pm Living Your Yoga: An Exploration of the Yamas and Niyamas @ Janati Yoga
2pm-4pm Not Just Numbers: Representation in the Canadian Census @ KFPL Isabel Turner Branch
- Not Just Numbers™ is an interactive, mystery game series being held across Canada in time for Canada 150 and Ontario 150. Join a diverse group of community members and scholars to uncover the identities and life stories behind the Canadian census. Sift through historical photographs, newspapers, maps and other clues to solve the mysteries behind each entry.
2:30pm-4:45pm “Our Loved Dominion Bless” choir concert @ Sydenham St. United Church
- Join the choir on a musical journey through 150 years of Confederation with stops at historical milestones along the way, including the entry of new provinces, the 100th anniversary of the Battles of Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele and the Royal Visit of 1939.
5pm-7:30pm Spencer Burton, Arden Rogalsky, Olivia Marie @ The Mansion (all ages)
- Spencer Burton is a singer-songwriter, a full-time family man and a part-time farmer who lives on his own grid, growing his own produce and raising his own livestock. “It’s a labor of love,” he says.
7pm-2am The Official Motionball After-Party (19+) @ Ale House
7:30pm-10pm Steel Magnolias play @ Domino Theatre – $10-$20
8pm-11pm TShow: Gay Space 1999 (19+) @ Renaissance Event Venue – $15
- TShow is proud to bring you TShow: Gay Space 1999; a retro futuristic drag show with a good dash of gay pixie dust (a little homage to June’s traditional gay pride month).
9pm-10:30pm Queen’s Observatory Open House @ Ellis Hall Auditorium
- Come listen to a professional astronomer share the wonders of the Universe before heading to our outdoor observing deck to view the Moon and planets. Next, head up to the dome to gaze into deep-space with our 14″ reflecting telescope, sure to dazzle inquiring minds young and old!
9pm-12am FAKE SHARK, FUTURE ROSE + guests (19+) @ The Mansion – $10 advance
- Fake Shark is a Canadian electronic indie-pop band from Vancouver, B.C. Formed in 2005, their early musical style mainly combined elements of dance punk, IDM and post-hardcore but have since shifted to a more commercial pop sound
9:30pm-1:30am Sweet Talk Jackie Album Release Party (19+) @ BLU Martini – FREE
10pm-2am RIH NIGHT (19+) @ Sir John’s Pub – $5
- The bad gals that brought you Drake Night present RIH NIGHT!! Nothing but your favourite bad gal, and collaborators pon de replay all night. You don’t need to be a bad bitch or rude boy to pour it up with us. Just be 19+ and BBHM $5 at the door..
10pm-2am The Stares @ The Merchant (19+) – FREE
10pm-2am The Atomic Beliveaus // Screamin’ Sins // Mississippi Grover (19+) @ The Toucan – FREE
Sunday, June 11
9am-2pm Local Food Week Celebration @ Memorial Centre Farmers Market
- Where the farmers you meet make the food you eat! Come early and stay the whole morning!
9am-4pm Celebration of Hope @ Lake Ontario Park
- An incredible line-up of local musicians and artisans, children’s activity area, silent auction, BBQ, bake sale and much more!
9:30am-10:30am Sunday Morning Yoga @ Battery Park (off Ontario Street) – PWYC
10am-4pm Lviv, Ukraine Folklore Festival @ Regiopolis-Notre Dame High School – $5
12pm-3pm Alison Tremblay BJJ Seminar @ Grizzly Gym
1pm-6pm Get Whipped with Miracle Whips! @ Memorial Centre
- Come and spend the afternoon at this roller derby training clinic and get WHIPPED! $35 per person
2pm-4pm Murder Mystery: Cast Auditions! @ Domino Theatre
- Cast Required: 4 Females, 1 Male (ages 18+)
- This will be a cold read with improvisation. Please prepare to tell a joke. Show runs September 7 to September 23.
2pm-5pm Interconnectivity and Affect: A Walking Tour of Kingston @ Modern Fuel Artists-Run Gallery in Tett Centre
- Led by Modern Fuel Artist in Residence Hiba Ali, the walking tour will commence around a perimeter in which we will expand on Kingston’s prison history and ecology. Participants are invited to bring their phones as we will be using both our physical and digital presences to navigate the space.
3:30pm-5:30pm Yoga, Nutrition & Hormonal Health for Pregnancy & Postpartum @ Samatva Yoga
4pm-7pm BIpocm Families Foodshare @ AKA Autonomous Social Centre
- We invite self identified Black families, Indigenous families, families of colour and mixed-race families and couples to come together and share food. This is a dry event. For those who can bring some food to share please do. And if you can’t, please come anyway!
5:45pm-8pm “DrumMedicine with Drum Maestra Afia Walking Tree” @ Musiikki Cafe – $20
6pm-10pm One Night Jam @ Roswell Rehearsals
- Come with your band, with your buddies or by yourself. Throw a few others in the mix and get a jam on! All genres welcome.
- No audience, no pressure, just somewhere to play. A unique chance to meet others and play, in fully equipped rehearsal rooms.
8pm-11:30pm TRIVIA (19+) @ The Brooklyn – FREE
- Test your obscure pop culture knowledge! Grab your teams of up to 6 people, and come early – doors open at 8pm, trivia starts at 9pm – to make sure you get a spot!
Coming up next week
Monday, June 12:
- 5:30pm – SPGS Run and Social
- 7pm – Murder Mystery Cast Auditions! (Day 2)
- 7pm – Psychedelic Kingston Meet n Greet
Tuesday, June 13:
- 6pm – SPECIAL COUNCIL MEETING: Third Crossing Decision
- 6:30pm – Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga
- 7pm – Modern Art Workshop
Wednesday, June 14:
- 12pm – Living Wage: Kingston & Sustainability
- 4:30pm – YOGA: Lole On the Road White Tour
- 6:30pm – Wine Tasting Dinner Cruise
- 7pm – Pride Week: “The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert” Film Screening
- 7pm – Smelly Hearing Aids and Fishy Lips: A Deaf Teenager’s Journal
- 7:30pm – Rhinoceros or What’s Different About Me?
- 8pm – The Pick Brothers + guests @ The Mansion (19+)
- 9pm – Open Mic @ Sir John’s Pub (19+)
Later this month…
June 15: St. Lawrence College Convocation
June 15: Art in Bloom Gala Reception
June 15-17: Rhinoceros or What’s Different About Me? play
June 17: Pride in Kingston 2017 Parade
June 21: National Aboriginal Day Celebration
June 21: After Work Kayak Basics Course
June 21-25: Skeleton Park Arts Festival
June 22: Movies in the Square: The LEGO Batman Movie