This Week in Kingston: Arts Edition (Sept. 25-Oct. 1)
If there’s one week of the year to fully immerse yourself in the local arts scene, this is it!
- Saturday and Sunday, the city will be alive with activities for Culture Days, a national celebration bringing together artists, cultural organizations and the public to discover our unique Canadian culture and spirit!
- If you’ve never been, don’t miss this year’s Kingston WritersFest, starting Wednesday with events through Sunday! It’s been named one of the best literary festivals in Canada!
- Friday, art galleries downtown will be open late for the annual Art After Dark celebration – including the first-ever glow-in-the-dark art exhibit!
- Also this week, the Grand Theatre will open its 10th season with Bruce Cockburn performing on Wednesday, and Jann Arden on Saturday!
Best of all, most events are free and open to all ages! So really, you can’t go wrong! Keep reading to see what’s on this week in Kingston, from your friends at QueensEvents.ca! (P.S. Want to go to events like these all the time? Join our team – we’re recruiting new members!)
- Monday, 7pm-9pm: Beginner Breakdancing in Studio 4. Hosted by KinetiQ. All Ages.
- Wednesday, 6pm-8pm and Saturday, 3pm-5pm: Project Red Dance Auditions in JDUC. All Ages.
- Saturday, 1pm-4pm: Kingston Circus Arts silks workshop at Tett Centre. All Ages
- Tuesday, 6:30pm-8pm: Screening: Trouble #3 – Refugees Welcome at AKA Autonomous Social Centre. All Ages.
- Thursday, 8pm-10pm: Movies You Lied About Seeing in Film110 at The Isabel. Hosted by Queen’s Film and Media Society. All Ages.
- Sunday, 7pm-9pm: One Night Only! A Moveable Chair (0.33-0.67) at The Screening Room. All Ages.
- Monday, 6:30pm-8:30pm: Auditions for SirenSisters – Sketch Comedy Show at JDUC. All Ages.
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday at 8:30pm, Saturday at 8pm: Headliner Alex Nussbaum with MC Ryan Denee and featuring Nick Burden at Absolute Comedy Kingston.
- Monday to Saturday: Kingston Potters’ Guild 50th Anniversary Exhibition at Tett Centre.
WRITING & POETRY
- Wednesday to Sunday: Kingston WritersFest at Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. All Ages/19+.
- Thursday, 8pm-9:30pm: Kingston WritersFest: International Marquee at Grand Theatre. All Ages.
- Friday, 3pm-5pm: Skeleton Park Prints: An exhibition of Poetry at The Elm Cafe. All Ages.
- Saturday, 4:30pm-6pm: Passport Poetry at The Union Gallery in Stauffer Library. All Ages.
- Sunday, 9am-2pm: Random Acts of Poetry at Memorial Centre Farmers’ Market. All Ages.
- Sunday, 2pm-3pm: Viva Voce: Discovery (Spoken-Word Poetry) at Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. All Ages.
- Sunday, 8pm: Kingston WritersFest: Robertson Davies Lecture at Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. All Ages.
- Tuesday, 6:30pm-9pm: Pumpkin Patch Paint Workshop at The Kingston Collective. All Ages.
- Friday, 7pm-10pm: Art After Dark at various galleries downtown Kingston. All Ages.
- Friday, 7pm-10pm: Art After Dark: First Ever Glow-In-The-Dark Artwork! at Starlight Enclosures. All Ages.
- Saturday, 10am-5pm: Culture Days: L’Art Painting with LEGO® at Pump Museum. All Ages.
- Saturday, 1pm-4pm: Live Drawing free workshop with Tim Rosillo at Tett Centre. All Ages.
- Saturday and Sunday: Mosaic Mural: Canada 150 Celebration at Kingston Community Health Centres (KCHC). All Ages.
FASHION & SEWING
- Saturday, 11:30am-2pm: Fall Fashion Show at Italo-Canadian Club. All Ages.
- Saturday, 7pm-9pm: Grumpy Cat Pillow (Sewing Workshop) at Southpaw Cat Cafe. All Ages.
- Saturday and Sunday, 2pm-4pm: Theatre Kingston: Almighty Voice and His Wife at Grand Theatre. All Ages.
- Monday, 6pm-10pm: Café Concert Franco at Centre Culturel Frontenac. All Ages.
- Tuesday, 8pm-11pm: Open Mic at Musiikki Cafe and Whiskey Bar. 19+ only.
- Wednesday, 7:30pm: Bruce Cockburn + Terra Lightfoot at Grand Theatre. All Ages.
- Wednesday, 9pm: Mike Young, Sara Hadley, Cole & Jody at The Mansion. 19+ only.
- Wednesday, 9pm: Open Mic at Sir John’s Public House. 19+ only.
- Thursday, 9pm: Generocksity: GOOD KARMA at The Brooklyn. 19+ only.
- Thursday, 10pm: Trevor Walsh (rock covers) at The Merchant. 19+ only.
- Friday, 10pm: The Furleys (rock, celtic, country) at The Merchant. 19+ only.
- Friday, 10pm: The Rotted Roots Ramblers (country) at The Toucan Pub. 19+ only.
- Saturday, 1:30pm-3:30pm: 10 Things You Didn’t Know about the Kingston Musicians’ Union at Roswell Rehearsals. All Ages.
- Saturday, 2:30pm: Beethoven Bash at The Isabel. All Ages.
- Saturday, 7:30pm: Jann Arden at Grand Theatre. All Ages.
- Saturday, 8pm: Shawn McCullough at The Embassy. All Ages.
- Saturday, 9pm: After Funk at Clark Hall Pub. 19+ only.
- Saturday, 10pm: River City Junction (blues, retro rock) at The Merchant. 19+ only.
- Saturday, 10pm: George Straits with The Meringues at The Toucan Pub. 19+ only.
- Saturday, 10am-4pm Play In Clay at The Tett Centre. All Ages.
- Saturday, 12pm-2pm Cranes, Coffee & Culture at Queen’s ARC. All Ages.
- Saturday, 12pm-2pm FREE hands on artmaking with Kerri Lee and Mollie Symons at The Isabel. All Ages.
- Saturday, 12pm-2pm: Relief Carving and Print Making with Patricia Van Asperen at Tett Centre. All Ages.
There’s lots more events to see this week, so check out our full events calendar – and #stopmissingout on amazing events at Queen’s and in Kingston!