Agnes Etherington Art Centre
“The Agnes” is located on Queen’s Main Campus and is one of Canada’s most respected art museums, with a permanent collection of more than 14,000 pieces.
The collection ranges from the 14th century to the present, with an emphasis on Canadian art. It includes paintings, sculptures, and graphics by major Canadian artists, European old master paintings – including two works by Rembrandt – costumes, quilts, silver and other decorative objects, Inuit art, and one of the largest public collections of African art in Canada.
The centre opened in 1957 in the home of Frederick and Agnes Richardson Etherington (1880-1954). In 1926, Mrs. Etherington was part of the formation of the Kingston Art and Music Club and bequeathed her house to Queen’s “for the furtherance of art and music and for the exhibition of pictures and music.”
In 1962, a large modern addition was built, giving the centre a total of seven exhibition galleries and a studio. The red-brick house, built in Victorian style for the Richardson family in 1879, was remodelled as a Georgian-style building in the 1920s and still contains many of the Etheringtons’ elegant furnishings.
- There were no results found.