- This event has passed.
Mental Health First Aid Training (2 days)
Tuesday, Apr. 17 @ 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM$50
This session is offered over two days (April 17 & 18, 2018). Participants must attend both days.
This program is available to all members of the Queen’s community (faculty, staff and students) and by request to other groups.
The MHFA Canada program aims to improve mental health literacy, and provide the skills and knowledge to help people better manage potential or developing mental health problems in themselves, a family member, a friend or a colleague.
The program does not teach people how to be therapists. It does teach them how to:
- recognize the signs and symptoms of mental health problems
- provide initial help
- guide a person towards appropriate professional help
MHFA shares the same overall purpose as traditional first aid – to save lives. It aims to:
- preserve life where a person may be a danger to themselves or others
- provide help to prevent the mental health problem from developing into a more serious state
- promote the recovery of good mental health
- provide comfort to a person experiencing a mental health problem
Delivery: 2 sessions per year. 12 hours over 2 days. lectures, videos, role plays, and case studies
Fees: Student Affairs staff – $65
Queen’s faculty and staff – $115
Queen’s alumni and community members – $200
Students – $50